Gas Saver or Death Trap?
According to enthusiasts, riding a motorcycle is one of the most exhilarating and freeing things a person can do. Hitting the open road on two wheels has become an American phenomenon in spite of the truism spoken among motorcyclists, if you haven’t laid down their bike yet, they will. It seems that experiencing at least one motorcycle accident is inevitable if you are a rider. It is all a part of the experience of owning and riding motorcycles.
For those of you who enjoy cruising the American roads on a bike, here are some fast facts for you to be aware of; According to the U.S. Department of Transportation:
- Motorcycle riders are 25 times more likely to end up in a fatal accident than the passenger of a car.
- 11% of all motorcycle accidents will end with a fatality.
- In 2006, there were over 80,000 motorcyclists injured from a vehicle wreck, while another 6,800 riders died.
- In states like South Carolina where motorcycle riders are not required to wear helmets, there is a 15% greater chance of death from an accident where the riders were not wearing helmets as opposed to those who were.
- More than half of all motorcycle accidents involve another vehicle.
- Of all motorcycle deaths, speeding accounts for about 48% of them: of that 48% – 42% were under the influence of alcohol.
- 42% of all motorcycle deaths were a result of a car turning left without seeing a rider.
Other factors can create circumstances where a motorcycle accident could easily occur:
- Slippery roads after raining
- Not using one’s turn signal
- Ignoring traffic signs
- Ignoring road conditions
- Motorcycle defects
- Roadway defects (pot holes, for example)
- Inexperienced riders
- Intentional hostile actions
Of course, these are some examples of what may cause a motorcycle accident.
So, what does one do if they were in a motorcycle accident due to no fault of their own? After seeking and receiving medical attention, it is essential to contact a law firm that handles motorcycle crash victims like the attorneys from the Elrod Pope Law Firm in Rock Hill, South Carolina. A law firm that has experience and success handling these kinds of case will be the legal team you want to speak with.
In spite of overwhelming evidence on your behalf, there is still a process to go through on your way to hopefully earning an award from either the court or in negotiations and settlement. You also may have physical issues to contend with and you want to make sure you are financially prepared for the long haul if there are injuries that are permanent. A good attorney, like those from Elrod Pope, will make sure your rights are protected and that you attain everything you deserve.
Jay Bater Marketing Specialist, South Carolina